Jakarta Trip: Textile Museum


Quotes of the Day: "If you don't at least give a try, you'll never know...you'll never change". - Doraemon, from the movie, Stand By Me

Yeah, that's right! Through these quotes and with some little help from my friends which really inspires me to get out of my comfort zone and try to see the beauty around me.

I've been here in Jakarta for almost six years, but I'd never tried to get lost in the thousands of places and food options in the city . Most of the time, you'll see me wandering on the same place such as Citraland or Central Park Mall. Not because I'm fallin' in love to the place but that was the only place I know and comfortable with since then. Sounds funny, isn't it? Huh!

Recently, my visa application was having some backlogs that cause me or most of the expats here to spend the holidays away from their families. Well, that was a sad fact, literally. On the lighter side, these gives me opportunities to go around Jakarta all by myself using their efficient TransJakarta buses for only Rp 3,500. Isn't cool? I hope I can explore more of this city and find new marvelous spots worth seeing.

Our first stop.....the Textile Museum. Yay! Today, you are lucky enough to get to lay your eyes on one of the oldest museums in Jakarta, Museum Tekstil aka Textile Museum.=D =D =D But before showing you the actual images, I shall just brief you through a little history of the textile museum, written on one of the notice boards there.

"The Textile Museum had opened its doors in the 28th of June 1976 under the leadership of Ibu Tien Soeharto. It exhibits hundreds of textiles from various islands of Indonesia. The antique textile pieces showcased in the gallery are namely batik, ikat, pelangi, tenun, songket, tree bark cloth and celup which are well kept and displayed inside a glass cases. "

Tenun from Palembang

Katun, Batik Tulis from Jawa Tengah

The Batik Gallery

A display guestroom with its French country charm

The main showroom includes the handwoven pieces of Sumatran Songkets with fine gold or silver thread designed with the specific motifs from the four main sultanates in Sumatra namely, Langkat, Deli, Serdang and Asahan. Sumatran Songket was an important element in the dancing rituals or on special occasions such as weddings. But nowadays, this tradition has now transitioned into a fashion statement for most Indonesian celebrities.
Sumatran Songket with the distinct motifs from the sultanate of Deli

At the back of the museum was the pendopo batik. Here, a batik workshop is held everyday where tourists can experience to make their own batik for only Rp 35,000. I'm just terrible at anything especially drawing so I just opted to watched them make the gorgeous batik designs.

For the batik making class, you'll need.......
Stove and a small wok with hot, molten wax

The Wax and Tjantings

Patience and Precision on the design fabric

Whoahh!!! I truly relished visiting this textile museum. It gave me a small glimpse of Indonesian culture as a whole. My eyes are drooling seeing all those lovely batik!

Helpful Tips:

1. The museum is open from 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., Tuesday - Sunday ( closed on Monday and on National holidays).

2. Bring cash. Hard to find atm machines nearby. A small souvenir shop are located at the back of the museum, and they prefer to be paid in cash. The entrance fee will costs you Rp 5,000 only and for the batik making class, Rp. 35,000.

3. How to get here?

Using the Transjakarta busway, take the way going to Kota route and stop at Sawah Besar Station. Go out from the station and follow the way out to the Gajah Mada Plaza located on the left side of the station. The light blue car going to Tanah Abang with a code M08 (known as mickrolet), are visible infront of the Gajah Mada Plaza. Hop into that car and ask the driver to bring you to the textile museum. Transportation fee (from Gajah Mada Plaza to Textile Museum): Rp 4,500.

Museum Tekstil Jakarta
Jl. Aipda K. Satsuit Tubun No. 2-4
Jakarta Pusat

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Getaway with Mom at Manleluag Spring National Park

Singapore's Stunning Sculptures

Hotel Lisboa Stopover